Saturday, October 23, 2010

Viva Los Reyes --Week # 10

If we had considered our time in Mexico to have been bereft of any drama so far, last week alone made up for it. Carolyn finally decided to move to Mexico City to be with her boyfriend, the sole purpose of her coming to this country. She faces a new set of challenges, mainly now that she will be living with David for the first time. Claudia got a position in Mexico City, the Montreal girl finally ended up in another huge city. With her passion and unwavering support for Queer and women’s rights, it doesn’t get any better than living in Mexico City. Intellectual communities with a lively sense of political activism await her. And our Rafael, our I-am-gonna-go-with-the-flow-Rafael, got an ideal job in Puebla after he had already decided he was going to follow Claudia and leave Los Reyes. Puebla, its unique cuisine, old history, charming architecture, and beautiful women will definitely satisfy Rafael. I can hear him shout to himself, as he tends to do when he is alone, “dope man, I’m the shit.” And I, the hot-headed, passionate, culture-loving, intellectual-wanna-be, ended up in a charming town quite alike my own Shiraz, called Querétaro. I know Rafael will read this comparison and say, “damn my dude, you gotta tie everything to Eye-ran in your entries.” Yes, I think I ought to for I love that piece of land called Iran.

Overall, teaching and living in Los Reyes was not a good fit for us and keeping in contact with a world filled with opportunities that all involved living in far more interesting places and getting a better salary further unsettled us. I have such little time in this marvelous country and I really intend to make the most of it, but that is not to disregard the invaluable friendships that I’ve formed with students and people of Los Reyes. This decision has not been one without regrets. But I have to content myself that during my little time with my students I genuinely tried to open up new and different avenues of viewing the world while profoundly respecting their current thought patterns and values. I tried hard to be an approachable teacher and friend who was equally open to learn from them, one who valued their stories, their life style.

I take with me, most preciously, the bond I formed with my students: My remarkably intelligent advanced group (Diana, Aldair, Michel, Alee, Luis) and all the laughter, stories and discussion that we shared. My Intermediate class and their obsession with sex and their youthful energy will never leave my memory. My wonderful friendship with Xochilt and Adriana, I’d never forget the way they’d drag the first syllable of “teaaaaacher” whenever they wanted to tease me. My lovely friend Oswaldo who kindly and generously showed me his wonderful village, Tocumbo. Our wonderful Spanish teacher, Mary, who insisted on interacting with us in spite of being under pressure from the institute not to. I received my first formal Spanish education from Mary, and for that, I am always grateful. To lovely Bernardo, the cheese guy, whose passionate and sincere descriptions of how beautiful Mexico is in spite of only having traveled to two states would drag me to the market. To Nikki, a wonderful teacher and friend, whose pieces of advice helped us deal with the unusual behavior of the institute. To the Ice-cream lady whose pina coladas would bring momentary joy to my evening hours. To Los Reyes for receiving and hosting us, to its warm-blooded people, green hills, beautiful plaza, and all its ice cream shops.

Much love and peace to Los Reyes de Salgado,
Aria

2 comments:

  1. i love you blog...it gives me hope now that i am jobless.....VIVA LOS REYES :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aziz, so I guess our LOR worked - welcome. Don't forget us and send some pics. Don't wait so you could shoot your masterpieces to satisfy your 's-p photographer status", just upload a few pics.

    :)

    ReplyDelete